Seed donation to the Maya Kekchi of Guatemala
The Kokopelli Seed Foundation started its own seed donation program in January 2004 by distributing thousands of packets of organic heirloom seeds in Guatemala (in partnership with Counterpart) and Mexico (in partnership with Bajarek in Chiapas / Bosque de la Niebla in Veracruz / Gaia in Oaxaca / Sexto Sol in Chiapas / Cosecha Sana in Veracruz / Mexico Tierra Magica in Oaxaca).
Thanks to our partnership with the Foundation Furare Rainforest Rescue, in Ecuador, seeds were also donated to many rural communities of South America: Peru (Idpa), Columbia, Bolivia (Arbolando), Ecuador.
A bulk organic seed donation was also sent to a Maine based NGO, Sustainable Harvest, which is working with rural communities of Belize and Honduras.
We are presently launching our own campaign "Seeds for Life" inviting all our members and friends, gardeners and farmers, to produce seeds in their garden for donation to Third World countries.
Seed donations to farmers in Costa Rica
This type of seed campaign (Semences sans Frontières) was started by Association Kokopelli in France in 2002. Association Kokopelli had been deeply involved, since 1999, in seed programs all over the world: 150 000 packets of organic seeds were donated during the years 2001 et 2002, most of them in Asia and Africa. With the increasing and overwhelming level of requests for seeds, this new seed campaign involving the members and friends of Kokopelli met with considerable enthusiasm. A lot of European gardeners, who would not collect seeds for themselves, started to do it for seed donation to poor farmers.
Although Association Kokopelli is continuing to send seed packets, it is thus able now to donate bulk organic seeds grown in Kokopelli members home gardens. Thanks to the financial contribution of its members, Association Kokopelli is able also to donate a small part of the organic seeds bought from its network of organic growers.
It would be too long to list all the organizations who benefited from
these seed donations. Here are a few ones listed by continents.
- India: most of the Tibetan refugees agricultural settlements / Green Foundation / Vigyan Shiksha Kendra. / Ecoserve / Disha Social Organisation / Bless / Scope / Afdorp / Anawin / Village Mission /
- Sri Lanka: Neo Synthesis Research.
- Afghanistan: Aftasie
- Laos: Laosai.
- Costa Rica: Cedeco / Agricultores de la Feria Organica
- Guatemala: Vétérinaires sans Frontières / Jardins du Monde
- Panama: Finca Sonador
- Cuba: El Caracol
- Haiti: Ore
- Peru: Munay
- Ecuador: Fundacion Furare
- Colombia: Ecole de la Paix / Fundacion Columbia Nuestra
- Bolivia: Pusysuyu
Seed donations to Madagascar
- South Africa: People's Earth Decade
- Zimbabwe: Permaculture Center Fambizanai
- Burkina Faso: Avapas / Adtae / Jardins du Monde
- Niger: Terre et Humanisme / Tadrewt
- Senegal: Enda-Pronat / Ferme ecole Joseph Faye
- Congo: Les enfants du Congo
- Madagascar: Jardins du Monde / Au Jardin Azafady
- Mauritania: Vents du Sud / Terre et Humanisme
- Mali: Bede / Terre et Humanisme
- Maroco: Les enfants de Tizi / Oasis verte
- Tunisia: Asoc